Many of you have asked how the current coronavirus outbreak will affect our 2020 mission trip plans. Due to the evolving nature of this outbreak, we believe it’s too early to make a decision for the remainder of our 2020 trips. Please know the staff of Northeast Houston Baptist Church is evaluating each trip on a case-by-case basis and is committed to protecting the safety of potential trip members, our missionary partners, and the people groups we intend to serve.
We are aware of the IMB notice issued on March 25, 2020 (updated May 19th), recommending volunteers refrain from traveling internationally until July 31st, 2020. This advisement has been factored into the decisions you find below. If a trip is not listed, no decision has been made at this time. Please know we are committed to continuously evaluating the remainder of our trips and will update you as we make future decisions.
Southeast Africa - The trip to Southeast Africa at the end of March has been cancelled. While our destination country is not listed as a hotspot for coronavirus cases, the IMB has asked all US churches to suspend international travel until June 30. As a result, we have chosen to follow their direction and cancel this trip. We remain committed to Jason and Amanda and will be exploring other ways we can care for them as they continue to serve abroad.
Southeast Asia - Our missionary in Southeast Asia has asked us to cancel our 2020 trip. The health risk of the proximity to China coupled with the lack of Chinese tourists due to self-quarantining gives us good reason to cancel this trip. We expect to return in 2021, but the 2020 mission trip to Southeast Asia has been cancelled.
Estonia - The StuMin Estonia mission trip slated for this summer is cancelled. The IMB, our trusted partner in international missions, has asked all churches to cancel any international travel between now and June 30. Even though our Estonia trip is not slated to work with IMB personnel, we trust their opinion on matters of international travel and will follow their guidance in regards to travel to Estonia.
Paris - The Paris mission trip slated for this summer is cancelled. The IMB, our trusted partner in international missions, has asked all churches to cancel any international travel between now and June 30. During this trip we would partner with IMB field workers and, as a result of the guidance issued March 25, they are no longer able to host us in Paris.
We know you have questions about many of the other trips and are anxious to address the many logistical steps our international trips require. Should the outbreak continue, we intend to make final decisions on the rest of our trips on the following dates: North Africa – June 30, Amsterdam – July 15, and London – July 31.
Denver (HISD Spring Break, March 7-14)
Southeast Africa (March 20th-29th) - CANCELLED
Paris (June 5th-14th) - CANCELLED
Jericho Project Week (June 8th-12th) - CANCELLED
Active8 (June 14th-18th) - CANCELLED
Denver - Student Led (June 20th-27th) - CANCELLED
Estonia - Student Led (June 28th - July 7th) - CANCELLED
Southeast Asia (July 10th-18th) - CANCELLED
Algeciras (July 24th-August 2nd) - CANCELLED
Sturgis (August 8th-15th) - CANCELLED
North Africa 1 (HISD Fall Break, October 2nd-11th) - CANCELLED
Amsterdam (October 23rd-November 1st)
London (Tentatively November)
North Africa 2 (TBD)
To sign up for one of the above trips click this link: